A kalimba instrument is something you may have seen but have never completely understood what it was, where it came from, or even what it was called. All though it is called something different depending on where it comes they all come together based on the unique shape and sound that the kalimba is known for.
kalimba thumb paino can be classified as a sort of small piano. They are relatively easy to learn how to play and can be something fun to learn and experience. Plucking the notes is easy and learning the notes can be just as simple. The kalimba is overall a unique and entertaining instrument for a lot of people.
Below you can find even more awesome facts about the kalimba, how to tune the kalimba, as well as the basics on how to play the kalimba.
What is Kalimba?
A kalimba is a musical instrument that originally came from Africa. This particular musical instrument is known under many different names, such as kalimba, mbira, or even the kalimba thumb piano. This certain type of musical instrument makes music when the metal tines are plucked with your thumbs. This causes vibrations that essentially turn into the musical sounds that you hear.
The kalimba is a relatively small instrument meant to fit nicely in someone's hands. The main part of the body of the instrument known as the resonance box is made out of wood and is turned into a hollowed box. This causes the distinct sound that the kalimba gets from the vibrating of the metal tines through the hollowed box.
The unique look of the kalimba is classified into two different categories. There is a resonance box type of the flat board type. Each are still classified as a kalimba but are separated into two different categories based upon the way it resonates sound. The different designs resonates sound differently because of the appearance of a sound hole or the lack of a sound hole.
Resonant Box or Flat Board?
Like mentioned above, there are two different categories or types of kalimba. These include the resonant box kalimbas and the flat board kalimbas. The difference between the two is the appearance of the sound hole and the lack of a sound hole. The resonant box has a sound hole. The sound hole creates different sound effects that can be more manually encouraged by covering or uncovering the sound hole.
One the other hand, the flat board does not have a sound hole. Historically the lack of the sound hole on the flat board was the most common one found in Africa. To amplify the sound of the flat board they would stick the kalimba or otherwise known as the mbira onto a hollowed out gourd to create the amplified sound that you can now get from the sound holes found in the resonant box.
When looking for a kalimba with the ability to enable you with more control in how the sound resonates then the best option would be to go with the resonant box kalimba over the flat board kalimba.
Top 2 Kalimba Amazon Reviews:
1. The first Amazon reviewed kalimba is the least expensive of the two. This one would be perfect for someone new to a kalimba and is looking for agreat budget friendly kalimba to practice on.
With a smaller price it means that the quality won't be as great, but the ability to play beautiful music will still be there. To go more into depth this kalimba offers:
- 1. Good Inexpensive Product: It offers a relatively good product for the price.
- 2. Easy to Learn: It's easy to learn because the notes are already labelled onto the tines for you.
- 3. Portable: The kalimba is essentially a small piano which makes it easy to transport where you need it to go.
- 4. Two Pack: For the price they are offering two kalimbas to practice on.
- 5. Instructor Book: They are also adding in an instructor book to help with tuning and the notes.
- 6. Tuning Hammer: To help even more with the tuning they are adding in the much needed tuning hammer.
- For Beginners: If you are looking for something of the best quality this isn't the one. It is definitely the best kalimbas for beginners looking to practice.
It is a great kalimba for the price. You get everything you need to start off as a beginner on the kalimba without breaking the bank. The only
problem is that the sound quality will not be as great because it isn't made with the most quality. Once you get good at the kalimba you will be
wanting on that has a better sound quality because it is made with more quality parts and time.
2. This next Amazon reviewed kalimba is one that is made with more quality. Keep in mind that with more quality comes a higher price. With morequality also comes better sound quality and an overall better instrument. Going through the pros and cons of this next kalimba will go more in depthabout the instrument.
- 1. High Quality Material: This kalimba is made with a high quality material to help with the look and the sound quality.
- 2. High Quality Sound: The type of material they choose for this kalimba helps to give it the quality sound quality it needs.
- 3. Built In Hi-Fi Pickup: The built-in hi-fi pickup make it possible for you to plug it into an amp.
- 4. Package Includes: When you buy this kalimba you get a professional kalimba case, bag, audio cable, change over plug, tuning hammer, learning instructions, music scale stickers, 60 day money back guarantee.
- 1. Expensive: This kalimba does cost more than the other kalimba but you get a good quality product for the money that you spend.
This is perfect for the serious kalimba player. It has the proper quality needed for the best quality sound. As well as all of the included extras to become a great kalimba player. It also comes with a 60 day money back guarantee if you decide that this purchase was not the one that you were looking for.
How to Play the Kalimba?
Now that you know what a kalimba is and what the different types of kalimbas are now you have to learn how to play one. Like with any instrument the first step is to learn how to hold it properly. Learning this will help the notes be played properly and will help you have more ease when playing the kalimba. You properly hold the kalimba by using the sides of the palms of the hands and then comfortably placing your thumbs onto the tines.
Next, you have to know how to pluck the tines properly. You start by hitting the notes with the fleshy part of the thumb and then quickly sliding down to pluck the tine with your nail or even a pick. Being able to do this properly will help to get the notes off of the kalimba that you are trying to achieve. After getting down the proper technique of plucking the tines you have to make sure that they kalimba is tuned properly.
To tune a kalimba you first have to be familiar with the notes on your kalimba. Most kalimbas that you buy will come with a notes guide to help become more familiar. After that the process of tuning is fairly easy. You'll need a tuner. To get a tuner you can download one off of the app store or purchase a guitar tuner if you would rather have one from the store. The tuner will let you know if you need to change the pitch. Below we go more in depth with how to tune your kalimba.
Getting to the actual playing is the fun part. When playing a kalimba it is important to hold the instrument gently to keep anything from getting in the way of the sound. The kalimba notes alternate so you, in turn, have to alternate your thumbs from the middle out. To get yourself used to the pitch of each of the notes it is always good to test them from the center out.
Plucking any two tines beside each other is known as chord. You use your thumb to pluck both of the notes at the same time. After learning the basics when it comes to the kalimba it's always fun to create your own melodies. Create chords and notes to create your own songs on the kalimba.
How to Tune a Kalimba?
Going back to the tuning of a kalimba, there are a few things that you need to be able to properly tune your kalimba. You already know that you need a a tuner but you also need a tuner hammer. This is because to tune the kalimba into the proper pitch you have to gently tap on the tines to move them into a different place.
The tuner will let you know if the note you are playing is to flat or sharp. If it says that it is too flat you need to gently tap that tine upwards. Remember to check the tine again by plucking it and seeing what the tuner says. Continue to adjust until the tuner says that it is the correct note. The same goes for if the note is too sharp. Only this time instead of tapping upwards you will be tapping the tine downwards. Continue to check and adjust using the tuner.
The best thing to do when tuning is to start with the very center tine. After you have that one correctly tuned you can go ahead and move to the outside notes. Once each note is in the correct pitch according to the tuner it is ready to be played.
Special Kalimba Tricksa
The most fun part about learning to play the kalimba is to learn the special tricks. There are a few different tricks that you can learn but these are the most common.
1. Glissando: This is what happens when you pluck adjacent tines on the kalimba. Using your nails can help a lot when trying to accomplish a glissando. You do this by touching your nail over one tine and sliding it out over three or four tines in a row.
2. Vibrato Effect: If you have a kalimba with two sound holes on the box you can do that vibrato effect. All you have to do is cover and uncover the holes as you are playing to create the vibrato effect.
3. "Wah Wah" Effect: To create the "wah wah" effect you have to cover and uncover the front sound hole.
There are a few different fun and special tricks that you can learn as you learn to play the kalimba. Each one can be looked up so you can get a more in depth understanding of them.
Kalimbas are unique and interesting musical instruments. For a lot of people they are fairly simple to learn and are a lot cheaper and easier than other musical instruments. Along with that they are small and portable making it easier for people to take them with them wherever they need to go. Learning how to play a kalimba is a great way to spend your free time.
Kalimbas are not only easy to use but they are also relaxing. You can make beautiful music with one whether it be a resonant box style kalimba or a flat board kalimba they most make beautiful music. Having one with better quality materials helps to have a better sound quality but overall the lesser expensive kalimbas will work just as well.
Learning the special kalimba tricks are just as fun if not more than learning about the kalimba and how to play it. The special kalimba tricks make the sound and the music even more unique but also help to give you even more creative control over the music and the sounds you want to play. Playing a kalimba gives you musical freedom.